4/12/12

Purple Cow > A Family Recipe

I made a traditional King (that's my maiden name)  family dinner on Easter Monday, why cause:
1)  I never get my family meals anymore 
2) I felt like it.

One of the staples at any big occasion family dinner - is a thing we call purple cow ( I don't know why it is called this). My grandma has been making this as long as I can remember. It's like dessert - but you eat it with your meal. I have no problems with this idea - cool whip and turkey should hang out more often.

Another thing I like about this is there is just something kind of fun and retro about jello based desserts - they should use it on Mad Men in any dinner scene

RECIPE
1 package of raspberry jello
1 1/2 - 2 cups of blueberries (feel free to add more!)
1 10 oz can of crushed pineapples
1 container of cool whip - thawed

Mix the jello with water as called for on the package.
mix in the blueberries and crushed pineapple ( with juices from can)
stir and refrigerate. Stir every half hour or so to keep berries and pineapples from settling
at the bottom. Once it seems to be holding cover top with cool whip. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

It won't get the consistency of jello - so don't expect it to harden up completely 

I forgot to take a nice pic of it - here it is half gone
 
 > Jessi
 

4 comments:

  1. Jello desserts are so retro! In my food lab at school we did a whole chapter on them and had to make them in weird molds. They should really update the text because we were all pretty grossed out by the idea, but of course enjoyed eating the results! Jello is awesome!

    Emilie
    www.liveeatsmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this sure sounds like a tasty treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple cow?! I love it! I get skeezed out by cool whip sometime, but there are some recipes (like peanut butter pie) that there are no substitutes!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails